VII-"'I"m not Joan of Arc. I'm a garment manufacturer.'" - Merle Linda Wolin - Los Angeles Herald-Examiner

by: Merle Linda Wolin | publication date: January 21, 1981 | Publication: Los Angeles Herald-Examiner | pages: A10

To hear wealthy dress manufacturers Richard Freedman and Lowell Meyer talk, you would think that single-handedly they overcame the recession and every other obstacle in a competitive business, to put their firm on top.  Listening to smooth-talking women's sportswear manufacturer Warren Handler talk, you would think that all it took for him to succeed was good design and lots of hard work.  And I might have believed them, all of them - had I not been demeaned and exploited as a worker in one of their contractor's unhealthful shops.  Or had I not know about the manufacturers' sanctioned edge over everyone else in the Los Angeles germent industry.  

The seventh chapter in Wolin's series of reports on the LA garment industry. Wolin spent time working undercover in several manufacturing facilities, posing as an undocumented worker.

No known rights restrictions.